After really liking Steve Souders' High Performance Web Sites: Essential Knowledge for Front-End Engineers, I really wanted to like his latest offering Even Faster Web Sites: Performance Best Practices for Web Developers. I liked it, but not nearly as much.
All this adds up to a somewhat uneven, and less widely applicable, set of ideas.
Here's the list of chapters:
- Understanding Ajax Performance - written by Douglas Crockford
- Creating Responsive Web Applications - written by Ben Galbraith and Dion Almaer
- Splitting the Initial Payload
- Loading Scripts Without Blocking
- Coupling Asynchronous Scripts
- Positioning Inline Scripts
- Scaling with Comet - written by Dylan Schiemann
- Going Beyond Gzipping - written by Tony Gentilcore
- Optimizing Images - written by Stoyan Stefanov and Nicole Sullivan
- Sharding Dominant Domains
- Flushing the Document Early
- Using Iframes Sparingly
- Simplifying CSS Selectors